We are officially one week into 2017! Which means it is now a good time to look over the past year in reading & see how everything went down, even if it is a smidge late.
I wasn’t entirely sure how to do such a big wrap-up, but I got tagged by my good friend Lauren @ Wonderless Reviews as one of her faves in her End of Year survey post; originally created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner. This is the perfect way to lay everything out & I have to thank you two immensely for creating/bringing this one to my attention and taking some of the pressure off.
And obviously a big shout out to Lauren for picking me as one of her faves. I love that book blogging is bringing people together & I’m so glad to be able to count you as my friend. Thank you ♡
~2016 Reading Stats~
Number of books read: 59
Number of re-reads: 2 (I don’t generally reread anything, but I read HP #1 for the second time ever this year and The Merciless by Danielle Vega as part of a book club)
Genre You read the most from: I have no idea. I really don’t. Thrillers, prolly?? I can’t tell XD How did y’all figure this out?!
~Best in Books~
2) Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid
Fates & Furies by Lauren Groff
I honestly thought I was going to thoroughly enjoy both, ended up hating the latter & just being over disappointed with the end of the former. It was all a tad unfortunate.
3) Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Probably Harry Potter & the Cursed Child. I knew it was a play script, so that wasn’t surprising. What WAS surprising, for me, was how the authors essentially threw out these characters that Rowling created & changed almost EVERYTHING about them. Colour me disappointed.
3) Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
The Raven Cycle & Six of Crows. Seriously got a couple people to read both & they actually liked them! Cause they’re awesome, duh. The books & the people.
4) Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Bet you can’t guess what imma pick:
Crooked Kingdom, first
The Raven King, second
5) Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
I only read one book by him so far, but Patrick Ness’s writing in A Monster Calls gutted me. It’s so good. I really have to read his other work. If it’s anything like that book, it’s gonna be worth it.
6) Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t usually read nonfiction, but I absolutely loved Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein. A seriously amazing book. Highly recommend. It was actually the first review & post on my blog! Check it out here~ Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl review
7) Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Illuminae. I love Aidan. I don’t care. Could not stop reading.
Or Crooked Kingdom cause THAT BOOK IS JUST RIDICULOUS AND SO SO GOOD
8) Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
I don’t generally do rereads. Too many other books in my possession, tbh. So I have no plans to do that at all. But if I had to choose? I’d probably reread all the Raven Cycle books. I’ve heard that once you finish The Raven King & read them all again, that you can see all the foreshadowing Stiefvater did. I’d love to experience that.
10) Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
*sigh* I should have put a disclaimer at the beginning of this whole thing…
BEWARE: Kai is obsessed with the Raven Cycle & Six of Crows duology. Prepare for a million questions answered with either of these series. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
So yea, The Raven King or Crooked Kingdom Covers.
JUST LOOK AT THEM!!
11) Most memorable character of 2016?
Ronan Lynch, bad-ass bae.
Kaz Brekker, super bad-ass bae.
12) Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. OH MY HEART!!
13) Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is actually a great novel that really shines at least a little light on how it can feel to be, not only an immigrant, but a person of colour in America today. It’s not perfect, & I am very much a white person who was born & raised in the US, so I can’t say just how accurate it all is, but it definitely makes you think & gives what seems to be good insight. I recommend it.
14) Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice. I’ve seen the movie a million times, but I only just read the book this year. I wasn’t blown away, but I enjoyed it. Took me forever to get to, no idea why!
15) Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
WARNING! THIS IS A VERY SPOILERY THING FROM THE RAVEN KING. IF YOU HAVEN’T READ IT, PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT, NON-QUOTED SECTION, IF YOU DON’T WANT ANYTHING RUINED! THANK YOU<3
“When Adam kissed him, it was every mile per hour Ronan had ever gone over the speed limit. It was every window-down, goose-bumps-on-skin, teeth-chattering-cold night drive. It was Adam’s ribs under Ronan’s hands and Adam’s mouth on his mouth, again and again and again. It was stubble on his lips and Ronan having to stop, to get his breath, to restart his heart. They were both hungry animals, but Adam had been starving for far longer.”
Seriously, this was the most amazing thing I have ever read & I literally reread it so many times. I couldn’t stop smiling. I was almost crying. Just…the feels.
16) Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Shortest: A Sister More Like Me (a Frozen book I read to my honorary niece)
Longest: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
17) Book That Shocked You The Most
Ruthless by Carolyn Lee Adams
I knew it was gonna be a roller coaster of a book, being a thriller about a girl trying to survive after being abducted by a serial killer, but I didn’t expect it to be SO GOOD!
18) OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Ronan & Adam/Jesper & Wylan/Kaz & Inej – I refuse to pick just one.
19) Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The entire friendship landscape of the Six of Crows duology. The way they all interact & love each other in their own ways is amazing & I love them all so so much.
20) Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Dream Thieves. I just can’t get over how much I love Stiefvater’s writing. I thought I loved Shiver the most, then I read the Raven Cycle. Just….love her books.
21) Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Six of Crows!! I fell in love with the cover, but I usually don’t read that type of fantasty. I kept seeing it everywhere, however, with everyone screaming about how amazing it is that I caved & went a head & read it. And now I’m obsessed so…thanks, guys!
22) Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
I can’t have crushes on these characters, as I am almost 30 & they are all around 16 or so, that’s just weird. But I have kind of a crush on Joe from You by Caroline Kepnes & it honestly scares me cause he’s SO AWFUL, OMG but I still…..can’t….help it. WHY AM I LIKE THIS?!? GAHHHHH!
Welp, at least he’s actually in the appropriate age range. So that’s cool?
23) Best 2016 debut you read?
The Cresswell Plot by Eliza Wass
I don’t know if she’ll be writing any more books, but I really enjoyed this one! Feel free to check out my review for it right here~ The Creswell Plot review
24) Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
All of the Raven Cycle or Six of Crows duology, tbh. Some of the best worldbuilding I’ve ever read ever, tbh
25) Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Here we go again, y’all. The Raven King. THE THING HAPPENED & it made me so fucking happy. I still think back on the whole book & all the events of the series & it all makes me so happy. It’s so wonderful. I need to experience it again.
26) Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Seeing the movie on Saturday. It just hits so close to home. Also wrote a review going over all my feels for this one too, if you’d like~ A Monster Calls Review
27) Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Escape from Asylum by Madeleine Roux, a really great addition to the Asylum series. I actually think the whole series doesn’t get as much love as I believe it deserves. This particular book also had a trans-girl of colour character in it! She was wonderful & I loved her. So yay for diversity!
28) Book That Crushed Your Soul?
A Monster Calls. This book is just so sad & hard hitting like…The feels overwhelm me
29) Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
You by Caroline Kepnes. You usually don’t see a book written from the stalker/murderer/bad guy’s perspective so this was a very interesting read.
30) Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The only books that made me the most mad are the 2 that I greatly disliked, but mostly I’m Thinking of Ending Things. Fuck that whole book, tbh
~Your Blogging/Bookish Life~
1) New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016?
Honestly like, all of them. All of you guys. I knew about the book blogging world for a while but never looked into it at all til I started my own back in February 2016. So Look at yourself. Cause it’s you. YOU’RE my favourite book blog. ❤
2) Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
My review of The Raven King, if I’m being honest. I found a good flow & my wording was better than I’m usually able to write. Pretty proud of that one.
3) Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I really like all the little tag games I got to play. But if I had to pick just one it’d prolly be the Burn/Rewrite/Reread book tag. It was so much fun & I absolutely loved the game & the post I put together. Check it out here!
4) Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I had a blast at the Texas Teen Book Fest even though I only spent an hour or so there, but I think getting to go to Maggie Stiefvater’s Raven King book tour was the best event I got to go to. Had a blast with Megan @ Pitch Black Sky & her sister Emily. It was a great day!!
5) Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016?
Meeting Maggie Stiefvater. I still can’t believe I met her & made her laugh. Awe is the only feeling I have for that amazing woman.
6) Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Staying motivated. I’ve always had a hard time staying motivated for anything throughout my life, so having it happen in my blogging life isn’t that surprising, but I don’t like it.
7) Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Based on views alone, it seems to be the post I did about the Ronan Lynch trilogy that Stiefvater is writing. It’s actually gotten more views in the past month than it did the whole month of august after I posted it. It’s not even that long! Mostly just her twitter posts screenshots & me being all OMG YAYYY.
It’s ridiculous & I love it.
8) Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
All of them! But seriously, it’s not something I think about too much. This is more a hobby so I’m not too upset if my posts don’t get too many views or anything. Any single view/comment/like makes me so happy. I just can’t believe ANYBODY reads my posts at all sometimes.
9) Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Since we moved to a whole new state, it would have to be finding the wonderful that is Half Price Books & actual book festivals.
10) Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
My original reading goal on GR for 2016 was 50 books, which I then upped to 60 in October. I beat my original goal, but missed my upgraded goal by one whole book. I did, however, fully complete my whole reading list for the Halloween Readathon hosted by Lauren @ Wonderless Reviews! Winning!
1) One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
I’m gonna pick the books I STARTED in 2016 but never finished:
2) Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
The King’s Cage by Victoria Aveyard
I love the Red Queen series & can’t wait to see where the story goes in the newest installment
3) 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I honestly don’t know of any. I’m not good at keeping up with that stuff. Though that should change as I stay in the book blogosphere more!
4) Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
I am so hyped for the 3rd book in the John Dies at the End series. It’s coming out later this year. So excited!
5) One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Mostly just keep up with reading & posting regularly. Nothing too specific, I just really wanna focus better on staying motivated & keeping things going!
6) A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I am not one of those lucky individuals that usually gets to read books before they’re published so there are none at all that are being published in 2017 that I’ve already read. I got nothing for this!
Whew! If you made it through all that, congrats & thank you!!
Some of these questions required a little more thinking that I thought they would.
But that’s half the fun!
If you’ve posted your own entry for the survey, please leave a link in the comments!
I’d love to see what your answers were!
And here’s to a happy new year!